Cinco de Mayo Turkey Tacos!
8 servings | Serving Size: 1 taco | Prep Time: 10 minutes
This meat mixture also makes a great topping for baked tortillas chips with reduced fat cheese for nachos. Top them with the lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro and Greek yogurt for a great party snack.
Cooking spray plus 1 tsp olive oil
1 lb ground turkey (93% lean, sometimes written 93/7)
1 packet taco seasoning mix (1 oz)
1 15-ounce can no added salt petite diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can fat-free or vegetarian refried beans
8 corn tortillas (about 6” diameter)
2 cups iceburg lettuce, shredded
2 medium tomatoes, diced
¼ cup cilantro, minced
½ cup non-fat Greek style plain yogurt
2 limes, quartered
1. Add the cooking spray and olive oil to a large sauté pan over high heat.
2. Sauté the turkey until just cooked through, about 6-7 minutes.
3. Add the taco seasoning packet and the canned tomatoes with the juice. The seasoning packet says to add water but use the juice from the tomatoes instead. Bring to a simmer.
4. Simmer for three minutes, then stir in the refried beans until incorporated.
5. Build the tacos with 1/3 cup of meat and bean mixture and top with lettuce, tomato, a sprinkling of cilantro, 1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt and a lime wedge on the side.
Verify that the seasoning packet, refried beans, and tortillas you are using are gluten-free and then this dish can be gluten-free.
As always, check with your doctor about eating a diabetes-friendly diet.